"Owners" of pages and nodes

McBride, Ian S.
I just wanted to quickly check with the other MM users to be sure that our instance of MM is working the same as yours.

The expected behavior is that the Owner is set at the time the page or node is set at the time of creation and can be updated manually (given sufficient permissions) but is not updated when the content is saved, correct?

I seem to recall that in the D6 version the “Owner” got updated with each save to be the person who last touched it, but I can’t remember for sure.

Ian McBride
[hidden email]
skype: [hidden email]
Web Technologies & Services
Information Technology Services
Middlebury College

RE: "Owners" of pages and nodes

Jay Dansand
It was confusing for us at first too, but when a user (without the "Administer all Monster Menus menus" permission) updates a page, the owner is reassigned.  I'm pretty sure it happens for nodes as well.

--
Jay Dansand '08
Senior Web Application Developer

Re: "Owners" of pages and nodes

IIRC. the reason it has to be this way is so that the attribution
message ("Updated by Foo at 12:34 1/1/1999") will be accurate.

On 7/14/15 9:45 AM, McBride, Ian S. wrote:

> I just wanted to quickly check with the other MM users to be sure that our instance of MM is working the same as yours.
>
> The expected behavior is that the Owner is set at the time the page or node is set at the time of creation and can be updated manually (given sufficient permissions) but is not updated when the content is saved, correct?
>
> I seem to recall that in the D6 version the “Owner” got updated with each save to be the person who last touched it, but I can’t remember for sure.
>
> Ian McBride
> [hidden email]
> skype: [hidden email]
> Web Technologies & Services
> Information Technology Services
> Middlebury College
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to monster_menus as: [hidden email].
> or send a blank email to [hidden email]

Re: "Owners" of pages and nodes

Understood. I just tested this out on our live site while masquerading as a user who does not have “administer all menus” permission.

When I saved a page’s settings, the owner updated to the currently logged in user.

When I saved a node, the owner did not update.

But it should have updated so the the attribution works, correct? If so I’ll dive into the code and figure out what’s happening (probably a local modification in our instance).

On Jul 14, 2015, at 10:20 AM, Dan Wilga <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I appreciate you looking into that and agree that it might not be the best idea to change what's been working for a long time.

If we decide to do this, I'll implement it using hook_node_update() and share the code back with this list in case anyone's interested.

Ian McBride
Web Technologies & Services
Middlebury College

On Jul 14, 2015, at 10:20 AM, Dan Wilga <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You are currently subscribed to monster_menus as: [hidden email][hidden email].

You are currently subscribed to monster_menus as: [hidden email][hidden email].

Re: "Owners" of pages and nodes

As promised:

/**
 * Implements hook_node_presave().
 */
function middlebury_monster_menus_node_presave($node) {
  if (!empty($node->original->uid) && !empty($node->owner) && $node->owner == $node->original->uid) {
    global $user;
    $node->owner = $user->uid;
  }
}

It’s hook_node_presave() rather than hook_node_update() because Drupal has already built the query to update the node at the time of hook_node_update().

I’m checking to see if $node->original->id exists, which is only true for existing nodes. This won’t fire when you’re creating a new node.

I’m also checking that $node->owner is equal to $node->original->uid. If it’s not, that means that the user chose to manually change the owner in the permissions form, in which case we want to honor their choice.

If all of that is true, then the node gets updated and the owner set to the last user to edit it.

On Jul 14, 2015, at 4:59 PM, McBride, Ian S. <[hidden email]> wrote:

I appreciate you looking into that and agree that it might not be the best idea to change what's been working for a long time.

If we decide to do this, I'll implement it using hook_node_update() and share the code back with this list in case anyone's interested.

Ian McBride
Web Technologies & Services
Middlebury College

Re: "Owners" of pages and nodes

Thanks, that’s a good suggestion. It also significantly simplifies the code:

/**
 * Implements hook_node_prepare().
 */
function middlebury_monster_menus_node_prepare($node) {
  global $user;
  $node->uid = $user->uid;
}

On Jul 15, 2015, at 12:19 PM, Dan Wilga <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

or send a blank email to [hidden email][hidden email]

---
[...]

grahamtk
Maybe just add a check to see if the $uid is not anonymous.
if node changes were triggered by cron or batch job that is not logged in?

Re: "Owners" of pages and nodes