monster menus blocks

Hi!
I tried introducing a monster menus block that should not have content on the root level.
meaning it should be introduced at a sublevel from the frontpage.

Previously I have been using this technique by adding a mm page as a subpage of the frontpage, and overriden it at subpages in the menus. so - if a block on the frontpage should show contact info on all pages inclusive the frontpage, I would add it at
domain.tld/contactblock with a position of (mm block name): "contact mmblock" and this would render on the frontpage. as well as any subpages of the frontpage.
If I wanted to override it at subpage1: I would add a new mm page with postition "contact mmblock"
at a subpage of the level where I wanted to override it: thus:
domain.tld/subpage1/contactblock  This would then render at
domain.tld/subpage1 and
domain.tld/subpage1/subA
domain.tld/subpage1/subB etc.

What makes me confused is this:
In this case I want to introduce a block at a lower level ( it should not be used on the front page of the site at all, and it is introduced at
domain.tld/subpage1/mynewBlock
and is not defined at all here:
domain.tld/mynewBlock

The problem is that mynewBlock does not render on
domain.tld/subpage1

Would it have to already have a page assigned at the root level of the site for it to be able to pick up new pages in block position at lower levels?

Tedious to describe this clearly.. hope I succeeded. :)

Re: monster menus blocks

Dan Wilga-2
Hi there,

I agree that this stuff is hard to describe :-). I think the way you
have set it up is correct, in fact it's the way we often do things on
our site. For instance, we have this page:

   https://www.amherst.edu/alumni

which uses this subpage:

   https://www.amherst.edu/alumni/photos

as a container for content in the left column. We don't use this column
at all on our homepage.

On 4/28/15 8:42 AM, grahamtk wrote:

> Hi!
> I tried introducing a monster menus block that should not have content on
> the root level.
> meaning it should be introduced at a sublevel from the frontpage.
>
> Previously I have been using this technique by adding a mm page as a subpage
> of the frontpage, and overriden it at subpages in the menus. so - if a block
> on the frontpage should show contact info on all pages inclusive the
> frontpage, I would add it at
> domain.tld/contactblock with a position of (mm block name): "contact
> mmblock" and this would render on the frontpage. as well as any subpages of
> the frontpage.
> If I wanted to override it at subpage1: I would add a new mm page with
> postition "contact mmblock"
> at a subpage of the level where I wanted to override it: thus:
> domain.tld/subpage1/contactblock  This would then render at
> domain.tld/subpage1 and
> domain.tld/subpage1/subA
> domain.tld/subpage1/subB etc.
>
> What makes me confused is this:
> In this case I want to introduce a block at a lower level ( it should not be
> used on the front page of the site at all, and it is introduced at
> domain.tld/subpage1/mynewBlock
> and is not defined at all here:
> domain.tld/mynewBlock
>
> The problem is that mynewBlock does not render on
> domain.tld/subpage1
>
> Would it have to already have a page assigned at the root level of the site
> for it to be able to pick up new pages in block position at lower levels?
>
> Tedious to describe this clearly.. hope I succeeded. :)

Re: monster menus blocks

grahamtk
I think in this case I had checked "show only on pages" and added the mm/ID
to the page I wanted it to appear on, and I had to switch it to "show on all
pages except" and back to "show only on pages" before it worked. A bug or
glitch while saving the form for block settings.

works now!

Re: monster menus blocks