Quantcast

_mm_content_get_tree_query() and MySQL 5.6 (on the monster_menus 6.x-6.37 branch)

_mm_content_get_tree_query() and MySQL 5.6 (on the monster_menus 6.x-6.37 branch)

McBride, Ian S.
We've just finished an update from MySQL 5.5 to MySQL 5.6 and noticed an interesting issue. The block id column is always being returned as NULL after each of the sub-trees gets merged together in the UNION operation. I suspect this is some new order-of-operations or query optimization issue for the new version of MySQL, but wanted to check to see if anyone else on this list is using 5.6 yet and, if so, whether you've noticed something like this?

Note that we're on a fairly out-of-date version of monster_menus for our production site, but I didn't see anything in the recent patches to the 6.x branch that would have affected this.

Re: _mm_content_get_tree_query() and MySQL 5.6 (on the monster_menus 6.x-6.37 branch)

McBride, Ian S.
With Adam's help, I've come up with a hack to resolve this in the short term for us (I think). Emphasis on hack. What we're doing now is sorting every sub-tree using the sort_idx column, then wrapping that sub-tree select in "SELECT * FROM( sub_query ) AS tempN" before using UNION in _mm_content_get_tree_query().

The "patch" ends up looking something like this (see attachment). I'm probably going to need to come up with a better long-term solution, but this will at least stop sub-page blocks from showing up in the menu for tonight.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Ian McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
We've just finished an update from MySQL 5.5 to MySQL 5.6 and noticed an interesting issue. The block id column is always being returned as NULL after each of the sub-trees gets merged together in the UNION operation. I suspect this is some new order-of-operations or query optimization issue for the new version of MySQL, but wanted to check to see if anyone else on this list is using 5.6 yet and, if so, whether you've noticed something like this?

Note that we're on a fairly out-of-date version of monster_menus for our production site, but I didn't see anything in the recent patches to the 6.x branch that would have affected this.

_mm_content_get_tree_query-MySQL-5.6.patch (2K) Download Attachment

Re: _mm_content_get_tree_query() and MySQL 5.6 (on the monster_menus 6.x-6.37 branch)

I'd suggest you try combing the MySQL bug reports to see if anyone else
has been experiencing this. Either that, or maybe there is a
backward-compatibility flag you can set during DB connection open.

Is it time to switch to MariaDB yet? :-)

--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu