Quantcast

members of group loosing access to pages

members of group loosing access to pages

grahamtk
I have narrowed the user behaviour that seems to trigger it down to an admin adding a new member to a group, leading to some of the current members of a group to loose permissions to edit pages the group has access to.
The member is still in the group.

The access has been granted by way of "pushing access" from a parent page down at least two levels in the menu.

It happens seldom, and we work around it now by pushing the access again after adding members to the group.
does it sound familiar to anyone? is it a known bug?

Re: members of group loosing access to pages

ttronslien
We have experienced the same here at Lakehead.
I've not had time to document or report it as a bug yet, but we've seen it on several occasions.

Not sure as to when and how it happens as we have several users with various levels of access working on the same tree.

Tove Tronslien, MSc, Informatics
Manager, Web Development Services
Lakehead University

t: (807) 343-8499

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM, grahamtk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have narrowed the user behaviour that seems to trigger it down to an admin adding a new member to a group, leading to some of the current members of a group to loose permissions to edit pages the group has access to.
The member is still in the group.

The access has been granted by way of "pushing access" from a parent page down at least two levels in the menu.

It happens seldom, and we work around it now by pushing the access again after adding members to the group.
does it sound familiar to anyone? is it a known bug?

RE: members of group loosing access to pages

Hilary Caws-Elwitt

I haven't seen this exact issue. But the work-around would fix a different long-standing bug I haven’t been able to reproduce (content nodes losing permissions for all groups; it happens so rarely that I keep thinking maybe it's been fixed, and it hasn't been reported in a long time), so I wonder if there might be a connection.

To clarify in my mind:

·         The old users lose permissions to edit the page settings?

·         Do they still have permission to edit nodes on the pages, if those permissions existed/were cascaded?

·         The new users do have the permissions before the permission re-copy--ie there is definitely a mismatch between powers of different users in the same group?

--

Hilary Caws-Elwitt

IT Analyst - Five Colleges, Inc. - http://www.fivecolleges.edu

97 Spring St, Amherst MA 01002

[hidden email] - 413-542-4022

Re: members of group loosing access to pages

There was a bug fix affecting this, made in d630a19, which is part of
7.x-1.17/6.x-6.63 and newer. What version are you using?

If there is another problem, I will need a reproducible test case. It's
been working fine for us, here.

On 10/29/14 10:33 AM, grahamtk wrote:
> I have narrowed the user behaviour that seems to trigger it down to an admin adding a new member to a group, leading to some of the current members of a group to loose permissions to edit pages the group has access to.
> The member is still in the group.
>
> The access has been granted by way of "pushing access" from a parent page down at least two levels in the menu.
>
> It happens seldom, and we work around it now by pushing the access again after adding members to the group.
> does it sound familiar to anyone? is it a known bug?

RE: members of group loosing access to pages

The situation seemed to me a little different than you describe, Hilary:

1.      A few old users lost their permission to edit nodes on some subpages when new users were added to the group.

2.      The new users got access to new subpages.

3.      Yes, there was a mismatch between powers of different users in the same group.

To answer Dan:

Our site is at version 16 of mm, so I will definitely update.

I guess it will take time to check if the problem is solved, because the feedback of lost permissions usually reaches us days or weeks after the action that caused the loss of permissions.

Our current use case gave a narrow timeframe between cause and effect because we were

expanding groups while having a time limited group effort to edit a large sub tree of sub-pages.

We were working with 20+ users in a group that kept expanding editing a subtree of almost 100 pages in a subtree of the menu.

Best,

Øyvind Graham

RE: members of group loosing access to pages

grahamtk
Lost permissions is still happening here.

It seems to me now that a full group loose access to pages.

I am not sure what triggers it, but is not user error.
The groups lost from pages were assigned to some of the sub-pages in a menu,
and the groups on the parent pages have not changed, so no "force these
permissions down the tree" has been applied.

Group database relationships are reportedly ok in the database relationship
integrity checks,
but these relationships have failed integrity checks:
mm_cascaded_settings.mmtid refers to missing mm_tree.mmtid
mm_node2tree.mmtid refers to missing mm_tree.mmtid
mm_tree_access.mmtid refers to missing mm_tree.mmtid
mm_tree_block.mmtid refers to missing mm_tree.mmtid
mm_tree_flags.mmtid refers to missing mm_tree.mmtid
mm_tree_parents.mmtid refers to missing mm_tree.mmtid

They have been like this for a long time, but they might be a cause of
groups losing permissions?
Any advice of any of these integrity relationships that are important to
fix?

Hoping for some advide :)
Øyvind

Hoping for some advide :)
Øyvind

SV: members of group loosing access to pages

The affected group has also recently had a member added.

Re: SV: members of group loosing access to pages

Dan Wilga-2
I don't have a good explanation for this. Is there any chance that
instead of editing the group, they somehow deleted the old one and
re-created it? You can tell by looking in settings/revisions for the group.

The few relationship inconsistencies are not relevant.

On 2/17/15 7:14 AM, Øyvind Graham wrote:

> The affected group has also recently had a member added.

Nope, revisions refreshed my memory, it was just edited by me.

Mvh.
Øyvind Graham

http://monster-menus.2910260.n2.nabble.com/members-of-group-loosing-access-to-pages-tp7572985p7573055.html
NAML