XML sitemap module

Leah Wang
Good morning,

Has anyone using  XML Sitemap module with MM yet?

Leah

Re: XML sitemap module

McBride, Ian S.
Monster Menus can produce its own sitemaps. See the settings in /admin/mm/settings

We use this on all our sites, for example, http://www.middlebury.edu/sitemap.xml

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Leah Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good morning,

Has anyone using  XML Sitemap module with MM yet?

Leah

Re: XML sitemap module

Leah Wang
Ian,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. How could we enable the sitemap.xml? I couldn't find it under /admin/mm/settings.

Thanks,

Leah

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Ian McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
Monster Menus can produce its own sitemaps. See the settings in /admin/mm/settings

We use this on all our sites, for example, http://www.middlebury.edu/sitemap.xml

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Leah Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good morning,

Has anyone using  XML Sitemap module with MM yet?

Leah

Re: XML sitemap module

This probably isn't documented anywhere, but should be. You have to
periodically visit "http://yoursite.edu/-mm-sitemap" to generate the
map. This is usually done using the same method you use to run cron.php,
but can be less frequent. We generate ours once per day.

--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu

Re: XML sitemap module

Victor Quinn
Hey Leah,

It's not a super well documented feature of MM. Looks like the help text which described how it works was in D6 but got somehow removed in the move to D7 making it even less clear.

Basically, the settings in admin/mm/settings for the XML file give you paths to exclude and levels to generate.

Then, you want to hit the URL http://mysite.com/-mm-sitemap

This should probably be run on cron (though probably no more frequent than daily or something, it's a bit of a resource hog and needn't be updated hourly). Doing so creates/updates the sitemap.xml file.

It appears there isn't a way in code to change its dump location, so it ends up at <a href="public://sitemap.xml">public://sitemap.xml
This is likely in {drupal_root}/sites/default/files/sitemap.xml if you have a single site or {drupal_root}/sites/sitename.com/files/sitemap.xml if you're using a multisite setup.

The code for this is in monster_menus/mm_sitemap.inc in case you want to see how it works.

Regards,
Victor

On Sep 19, 2012, at 11:16 AM, Leah Wang <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

Ian,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. How could we enable the sitemap.xml? I couldn't find it under /admin/mm/settings.

Thanks,

Leah

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Ian McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
Monster Menus can produce its own sitemaps. See the settings in /admin/mm/settings

We use this on all our sites, for example, http://www.middlebury.edu/sitemap.xml

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Leah Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good morning,

Has anyone using  XML Sitemap module with MM yet?

Leah

Re: XML sitemap module

Dan,

The information is actually included in the Site Map section of the admin interface in /admin/mm/settings

Inline image 1

As to why that wouldn't be showing up for Leah in the admin interface, I'm not sure. Leah, it's the second-to-last section on that page.

    <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

        Good morning,

        Has anyone using  XML Sitemap module with MM yet?

        Leah

--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu
Amherst College                                      Tel: <a href="tel:413-542-2175" value="+14135422175" target="_blank">413-542-2175
Amherst, MA  01002

RE: XML sitemap module

Jay Dansand
Ah!  I was wondering the same thing as Leah.  I think we'll write a quick module or patch to add the sitemap generation to the normal cron run via queues, on a configurable interval (every 24 hours, etc.)

Dan, would you prefer we do this as one of our MM Tweaks group of modules or write a patch for MM proper?

Regards,
Jay Dansand, LU '08

--
 ____ ____    Senior Web Application Developer

--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu
Amherst College                                      Tel: 413-542-2175
Amherst, MA  01002

RE: XML sitemap module

Jay Dansand
Looks like running it as part of cron would require at least one patch to MM core: function mm_sitemap() ends with "exit();" which obviously would kill cron if any queued functions are scheduled after mm_sitemap()'s call.  Simplest snap-in fix could be making an mm_sitemap_page() which wraps mm_sitemap():

function mm_sitemap_generate_page_callback() {
  mm_sitemap();
  exit();
}

And removing the exit() call from mm_sitemap().  Just need to change hook_menu to set the new function as the page callback for $items['-mm-sitemap'].

Regards,
Jay Dansand, LU '08

On 9/19/12 11:32 AM, Victor Quinn wrote:
> Hey Leah,
>
> It's not a super well documented feature of MM. Looks like the help
> text which described how it works was in D6 but got somehow removed in
> the move to D7 making it even less clear.
Yeah, I need to put that back in.
> It appears there isn't a way in code to change its dump location, so
> it ends up at public://sitemap.xml
> This is likely in /{drupal_root}/sites/default/files/sitemap.xml/ if
> you have a single site or
> /{drupal_root}/sites/sitename.com/files/sitemap.xml
> <http://sitename.com/files/sitemap.xml> /if you're using a multisite
> setup.

MM includes a menu hook, so that whenever /sitemap.xml is accessed, it
serves the file generated by MM. It's not necessary to do anything else.

On 9/19/12 11:35 AM, Jay Dansand wrote:
> Ah!  I was wondering the same thing as Leah.  I think we'll write a quick module or patch to add the sitemap generation to the normal cron run via queues, on a configurable interval (every 24 hours, etc.)
>
> Dan, would you prefer we do this as one of our MM Tweaks group of modules or write a patch for MM proper?

I would prefer to leave it as something that requires an external cron
job. What's one more line in a crontab, when you already have one for
cron.php?

This also means that you could, theoretically, have the sitemap
generated more often than cron.php runs. (I'm sure if I didn't allow
this, somebody would ask for it!)

--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu
Amherst College                                      Tel: 413-542-2175
Amherst, MA  01002

RE: XML sitemap module

Jay Dansand
Not that this is a strong argument for adding it to the cron, but one reason would be to make MM a little more plug-and-play/user friendly.  Some hosting environments may come with a preconfigured Drupal instance but no access to crontab, or who-knows-what-else.  It's how Feeds, Aggregator, and other scheduled services run.

I'm in no way suggesting the removal of the page callback, so folks who want it to run more often than cron can still run it manually or add it to their crontab just as they can now, but for the rest of us it'd just snap in and we wouldn't have to think about it :)

We'll happily make it a separate module so the current/official mechanism doesn't have to change at all, but could we get mm_sitemap() to not run exit() (via the wrapping function I mentioned earlier, or some other method) in order to allow us to accomplish it?

Regards,
Jay Dansand, LU '08