Quantcast

The Migration begins at Midd

Adam Franco
Administrator
Hi all,

We have just started work on upgrading to D7. It will be a slow ongoing process, but we are at least getting into it now.

For our D7 code and details of our current process, see https://github.com/middlebury/drupal7/wiki.

We already ran into 1 issue when we first enabled mm. Since the fix looked like it would break your integration for LDAP, I created an issue branch with the first part of the fix that can can also take on additional commits to prevent a regression of your LDAP login. Is this the way we should handle non-trivial issues in MM from here on out?

Also, I pushed a midd branch to the repository. I intend to use this branch as a placeholder onto which we will merge any open issue patches that we need to operate, but that aren't fully ready for merging onto the 7.x-1.x branch. I figured that keeping this branch in the main MM repository would be helpful to give everyone else an idea of what we are actually running. If anyone feels that this clutters up the repository too much, we can maintain this branch in a repository on Github -- just let me know.

Best,
Adam

--

Adam Franco
Senior Software Engineer - Web Applications

Re: The Migration begins at Midd

Dan Wilga-2
On 10/31/11 4:54 PM, Adam Franco wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have just started work on upgrading to D7. It will be a slow
> ongoing process, but we are at least getting into it now.
>
> For our D7 code and details of our current process, see
> https://github.com/middlebury/drupal7/wiki.
>
> We already ran into 1 issue <http://drupal.org/node/1327630> when we
> first enabled mm. Since the fix looked like it would break your
> integration for LDAP, I created an issue branch
> <http://drupalcode.org/sandbox/gribnif/1118296.git/shortlog/refs/heads/dev-1327630-clean_url_bug>
> with the first part of the fix that can can also take on additional
> commits to prevent a regression of your LDAP login. Is this the way we
> should handle non-trivial issues in MM from here on out?

Yes, Anita also noticed this. For some reason, I can't reproduce the
problem. In any event, I think we should just revert the MM commit and
tell Wellesley to either patch their MM manually or ask the authors of
the LDAP module for a fix. I'll do this in a little bit.

IMHO, what that module is doing during its hook_boot() (where it calls
drupal_bootstrap(DRUPAL_BOOTSTRAP_FULL)) is not only detrimental to
performance, it's counter to the way Drupal is intended to work. It's
not surprising that MM (and probably other modules) don't get along with it.

I don't see any sense in creating a branch for this until either there's
something to be committed, or the issue has been confirmed to be
something that will require lots of code or time to work out. In this
case, it's just a revert, so it doesn't meet those criteria.

> Also, I pushed a midd
> <http://drupalcode.org/sandbox/gribnif/1118296.git/shortlog/refs/heads/midd>
> branch to the repository. I intend to use this branch as a placeholder
> onto which we will merge any open issue patches that we need to
> operate, but that aren't fully ready for merging onto the 7.x-1.x
> branch. I figured that keeping this branch in the main MM repository
> would be helpful to give everyone else an idea of what we are actually
> running. If anyone feels that this clutters up the repository too
> much, we can maintain this branch in a repository on Github -- just
> let me know.

Yes, I do think having this on git.drupal.org clutters things a bit.
That site is really supposed to be for production (or what will someday
become production) code. I'd rather not confuse any potential users.

--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu

Also, I pushed a midd <http://drupalcode.org/sandbox/gribnif/1118296.git/shortlog/refs/heads/midd> branch to the repository. I intend to use this branch as a placeholder onto which we will merge any open issue patches that we need to operate, but that aren't fully ready for merging onto the 7.x-1.x branch. I figured that keeping this branch in the main MM repository would be helpful to give everyone else an idea of what we are actually running. If anyone feels that this clutters up the repository too much, we can maintain this branch in a repository on Github -- just let me know.

Yes, I do think having this on git.drupal.org clutters things a bit. That site is really supposed to be for production (or what will someday become production) code. I'd rather not confuse any potential users.

I've moved our "vendor" branch off to our own Github space and removed it from the d.o repository.

Adam