Quantcast

Suggestion: A new way to put nodes into theme regions

Suggestion: A new way to put nodes into theme regions

Dan Wilga-2
As part of an upcoming site redesign, we have need for the ability to allow users to add multiple nodes to a region on a page without affecting child pages. Currently, the only way to do this is to set up empty sub-pages on each child page, to prevent them from getting the same assignmentts--which, as we all know, is very cumbersome.

What I'm proposing is that we allow users to:

1. Add all of the desired nodes to the page.

2. Go to the Reorder tab. This would be redesigned a little, to include all of the available regions within the page, not just the body region. The layout would be similar to the way block assignment works now, in admin/structure/block. The user could then drag nodes to a region, and set their order of appearance, in one place.

The "Remove custom ordering and save" button would continue to reset the order, but not affect which region a node is assigned to.

The old method of assigning nodes to sub-pages would still be supported, since it is useful when the same contents need to be repeated for sections of the site.

It has been suggested that we should come p with some sort of admin interface to specify who can add nodes to which region, but personally I think this would be difficult to administer effectively.

Thoughts?

RE: Suggestion: A new way to put nodes into theme regions

Jay Dansand

My first thought is that sounds a lot like Panels, which we’ve had working with Monster Menus in production since 2012.  If that’s something you’d consider, we can definitely help bootstrap you up on that method.

My second thought is we’d definitely need/add a switch to disable the functionality (in part so that people don’t conflict with our Panels setup), and also that I could totally see the need for locking down specific regions.  On our site for instance, some regions are considered sacrosanct and definitely only a few chosen folks in Communications should be allowed to alter them; other regions are a free-for-all.  The UI doesn’t need to be complex: I’d imagine exposing just one additional Drupal permission per theme/region key, assigned to roles as per standard Drupal.  Sort of like Node does with per-Content Type permissions.

--
Jay Dansand '08
Senior Web Application Developer

Re: Suggestion: A new way to put nodes into theme regions

Dan,

I like the sound of this feature, which I think is a lot more intuitive for our users than the (albeit much more powerful) way MM currently works. I am wondering, though, what you're considering for where those two features intersect.

For example, if I have a page with a sidebar that has a MM block in it and a sub-page with nodes on it assigned to that MM block (i.e. the way things work right now) and I click the Reorder tab, can I assign nodes from the parent page to that region? If so, do only the nodes from the parent page display, overriding the sub-page MM block? Do they display in some combination with one set sorted above the other?

IMO, it would be best if the nodes assigned to a region from the current page overrode the display of any MM block sub-page.

Now, consider this scenario:

/academics

/academics/english

/academics/english/courses

/academics/sidebar (assigned to a "sidebar" region as a MM block)

If there I assign nodes from /academics/english to the sidebar region, overriding the display of those from /academics/sidebar, do the nodes from /academics/sidebar still display on /academics/english/courses? I would assume, yes, but I'm ambivalent about which answer turns out of be the one we decide in this case.

Also, I like Jay's suggestion of simple role-based permissions for assigning content (and pages!) to regions. I don't think this needs to be as fancy as MM page editing permissions, or allow delegation, but it would be nice to be able to say that only a set of MM users or groups (assigned to a Drupal role) can assign content to each region as a site-wide setting.

Ian McBride
Web Technologies & Services
Middlebury College

Re: Suggestion: A new way to put nodes into theme regions

I have the behind-the-scenes mechanics of this feature working now, and am currently working on the UI. (See more below.)

On 8/31/15 9:34 AM, McBride, Ian S. wrote:
For example, if I have a page with a sidebar that has a MM block in it and a sub-page with nodes on it assigned to that MM block (i.e. the way things work right now) and I click the Reorder tab, can I assign nodes from the parent page to that region?
Currently, it's additive. First, any block-based (old-style) content is added to the region, followed by any content specifically assigned at the page level. There is no way to affect the position of the old-style content. The UI only allows the nodes assigned to that one page to be reordered.

Code-wise, it would actually be pretty difficult to do it any other way.
Also, I like Jay's suggestion of simple role-based permissions for assigning content (and pages!) to regions. I don't think this needs to be as fancy as MM page editing permissions, or allow delegation, but it would be nice to be able to say that only a set of MM users or groups (assigned to a Drupal role) can assign content to each region as a site-wide setting.
Role-based permissions probably won't work for us. I don't think it will be too difficult to make it a global setting (per theme) which uses MM groups.