Show children setting

grahamtk
Hi!
When I test different values for  "Max number of child levels to display"
and "max number of parents to display,
I would expect they changed the behaviour of the menu.
Specifically I am looking for a way to display a part of the menu to display
more than just the first level of children - in effect being displayed
expanded. Currently I see no change in how the menu is displayed,
always one level shown default, but if I click on a sublevel the children is
shown together with the parent levels

examples:

This is what is needed:
Research
*    level 1*
        level 1a
        level 1b
        level 1c
    level 2
        level 2a
        level 2b
        level 2c
    level 3
        level 3a
        level 3etc..

This is what is displayed, nomatter what the max and min values of level
depth is set to. .:
Research
*    level 1*
        level 1a
        level 1b
        level 1c
    level 2
    level 3

Re: Show children setting

Dan Wilga-2
Hi there,

The child setting is acting as it's supposed to, meaning that no matter
how far down in the tree you go past the page with this setting, only
that number of immediate children will be displayed. So, if, in the case
of your example, you had set the children to 1 for "level 1", then only
level 1a/1b/1c would ever display below "level 1"; anything below these
would not, no matter how far down you go.

The parent setting is broken, pure and simple :-). It's supposed to hide
the parents, so that only N are ever shown. In your example, if you set
it to 1 at "Research", then when you go to "level 1a", "Research" would
be hidden and "level 1" would be visible.

Neither of these options is supposed to do what you're asking for. There
is nothing currently in MM to allow that. MM intentionally tries to
avoid traversing parts of the tree that are not part of the current
breadcrumb, because this can get very time-intensive in large trees.

The only way I can think to do what you're after would be to write your
own block handler that uses mm_content_get_tree() and
mm_content_render_tree(). I'd suggest you use the code in
monster_menus_block() as a starting point, to make sure you get all the
permissions stuff correct.