Re: Removing thickbox from MM

McBride, Ian S.
Thanks for this update, Dan. This is a huge achievement for MM. I’ve set up a test environment today and will spend time this week trying things out.

From: Dan Wilga <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, July 1, 2016 at 10:55 AM
To: Monster Menus Development <[hidden email]>
Subject: Removing thickbox from MM

In order to improve MM's usability at smaller screen sizes and to get away from a module that is ancient and no longer supported, I've spent the last week finally removing (almost) all uses of thickbox from MM. Instead, MM now has its own modal dialog code which uses the "dialog" portion of jQuery UI. This is included as part of Drupal 7. Along the way, I also removed the need for the third-party splitter.js library.

The one case where thickbox is still used is for the Gallery content type, provided by the mm_media module. Decoupling this would mean either adopting another popup slideshow module or writing our own, and this was not tackled.
If you do not use this content type you can disable thickbox.

This is a drastic change in the UI, so I'd like some help testing. To begin, check out the devel branch. Disable the thickbox module, then:

- When editing a page's settings:
  - Click on "Solve permissions issues".
  - Add Individuals to the permissions.
  - Add Groups to the permissions. When doing this:
    - Select a group in the left hand pane and click on Bookmark to create a bookmark.
    - Click on Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks.
    - After selecting a group with lots of members, click on the "See all users in this group" link.
    - Try out the split bar. Its position is saved for the next time a tree browser is used.

- When editing a node (piece of content):
  - Click on the Pages tab. Add a second page with the "Add..." button.
  - Click on the "Who can edit..." tab. Add individuals and groups to the permissions.

- Go to a group in the /groups section which has many users. Click on the "See all users in this group" link.

- Try out the various tree browsers at /admin/mm/browse.

Re: Removing thickbox from MM

McBride, Ian S.
Here are the results of my testing. I can keep looking into fixes for some of the issues I identified, but wasn’t able to resolve, but may not be able to get to it today, so I wanted to get this information back to you.

Steve, Melissa, and I tested this in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, IE 11, and Edge. This is on a copy of our main Middlebury site running the snapshot of the dev MM branch from last Monday with the thick box module disabled. We use jQuery 1.7 through the jQuery update module, but I also tested this out with the baseline version when I ran into issues.

- The split bar’s position is only saved for the same type of dialog, so moving it in Add Group will not change it’s position in Add Page. I don’t think this is a big deal, but wanted to call it out.

- After adding a new group bookmark in the Add Group dialog, clicking on Organize Bookmarks will open a dialog where the Edit and Delete links don’t work as the function callbacks for them don’t exist. Closing and reopening the Add Group dialog after adding the new bookmark resolves the issue.

- In /admin/mm/browse, when viewing an item if you click Change Settings or View Contents the dialog that opens won’t let you scroll down the page.

- In Safari, the columns in the tree browser don’t appear correctly. This can be resolved by adding #mmtree-browser-tree-wrapper { vertical-align: top; } and #mmtree-browse-items { vertical-align: top; } to mm_browser.css.

- In Safari, the View All Users in this Group dialog has a scrollbar that pops off the side of the modal window. This can be resolved with div#mm-dialog-dialog-0.ui-dialog-content.ui-widget-content { box-sizing: border-box; }

This is a really great improvement over Thickbox and great to see this coming along as it was one of the things I was worried about in the D8 upgrade. Speaking of which, how’s that going? Anything we can collaborate on?

From: "McBride, Ian S." <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, July 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM
To: Monster Menus Development <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Removing thickbox from MM

Thanks for this update, Dan. This is a huge achievement for MM. I’ve set up a test environment today and will spend time this week trying things out.

Re: Removing thickbox from MM

Hi Ian,

Many thanks to you and your cohort for testing. I'll look into the issues you describe, soon. Our web designer also has some CSS changes to add, which should improve usability further.

The D8 upgrade? Well, I've run it through drupalmoduleupgrader, which was no easy task, but haven't done much more than that. I need to evaluate the extent of the work needed before I can ask for help. I should be able to do that this week or next.

From: "McBride, Ian S." <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, July 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM
To: Monster Menus Development <[hidden email]>