Quantcast

Re: Development on the D8 version is proceeding

Re: Development on the D8 version is proceeding

McBride, Ian S.
Sorry that took so long. There are a lot of queries in Monster Menus! And I created extra work for myself with a ridiculous note-taking exercise for the commit message.

I can probably tackle some more of these. Is there one you’d like to hand off next?

From: Dan Wilga <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2016 at 11:06 AM
To: Monster Menus Development <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Development on the D8 version is proceeding

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the offer to help. The first thing you can look at is:

  https://www.drupal.org/node/2401615  Require a specific placeholder format in db_query() in order to trigger argument expansion, and require explicit 'IN' parameter for conditions

Essentially, you need to look at all cases where db_query() is being used and make sure there aren't assumptions that the DB layer will substitute "IN()" or "=" based on the data being passed. It's probably safe just to always pass an array. You'll have to be careful with things like mm_content_get_query() and mm_content_get_tree_query(), which return a query as a string.

When you're done, please commit using a message of the same format I've used so far: the issue link and description from d.o. Work in the 8.x-1.x branch.

For development, all you really need to do is install the D8 code and clone MM into /modules. MM won't install at this point, anyway, and there's no upgrade path yet.

The master list of change records can be found here:

  https://www.drupal.org/list-changes/drupal/published?keywords_description=&to_branch=8.0.x&version=&created_op=%3E%3D&created[value]=&created[min]=&created[max]=&&page=2&order=created&sort=asc

I haven't found a good way to limit that to just things that are relevant to a D7 upgrade, so there are many changes that only affect people who coded for previous versions of D8. I've been going through the list one line at a time, making changes that I can right now, noting more atomic changes at the end of monster_menus.module for others to work on, or making notes in the code when I know a change is needed but the correct direction is uncertain.

As far as using MM for Monterey goes, so far I don't see anything that will make data migration especially hard. In the worst case, we can leave most things as they are now; it would be nice to make it more entity-friendly, though, and to take advantage of things like key stores. To be honest, though, I don't foresee all of MM D8 being in a production state until at least October, and probably later.

On 8/8/16 9:35 AM, McBride, Ian S. wrote:
Sounds great, Dan. This is something I can make time for, so feel free to send one of those change records over, though I’ll probably need a bit of time to bring myself up-to-speed on D8 development.

Incidentally, we’re going to discuss this month whether we’ll be using MM for the new version of our Monterey site. If you had any thoughts that might inform that decision, such as high-level architectural changes you envision for the D8 version or how tricky it will be to build a D7->D8 migration tool for MM, we’d love to hear them.

From: Dan Wilga <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2016 at 9:06 AM
To: Monster Menus Development <[hidden email]>
Subject: Development on the D8 version is proceeding

I've been working almost exclusively on it for the past two weeks, and while it's coming along I could, of course, use some help. If anyone feels they have time to contribute, please let me know. Most likely, the format will be one of, "look at this change record and fix what it refers to," i.e.: lots of search and replace. I won't be asking you to make major architectural changes.

Re: Development on the D8 version is proceeding

Dan Wilga-2
Thanks for the commit, Ian. I'll take further requests for changes off-list.

From: Dan Wilga <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2016 at 9:06 AM
To: Monster Menus Development <[hidden email]>