Quick (hopefully) User Permissions question

Quick (hopefully) User Permissions question

McBride, Ian S.
It seems that when I tell MM to populate user permissions down a tree, the page level permissions are populated, but no permissions changes are made to existing nodes assigned to those pages. This seems odd to me, since if I wanted to add a new user or group to have "delete this page or change its settings" access at some level of the page tree, I'd probably also want them to be able to edit any of the existing content within that area of the site without having to go through and populate all the node level permissions for each piece of content.

Is there some "copy this stuff to the node permissions" setting I'm missing here?

Re: Quick (hopefully) User Permissions question

Dan Wilga-2
At 10:41 PM -0400 8/3/09, McBride, Ian wrote:

>It seems that when I tell MM to populate user permissions down a
>tree, the page level permissions are populated, but no permissions
>changes are made to existing nodes assigned to those pages. This
>seems odd to me, since if I wanted to add a new user or group to
>have "delete this page or change its settings" access at some level
>of the page tree, I'd probably also want them to be able to edit any
>of the existing content within that area of the site without having
>to go through and populate all the node level permissions for each
>piece of content.
>
>Is there some "copy this stuff to the node permissions" setting I'm
>missing here?

No, that's the way it has always worked. To be honest, we try to
discourage people from using that feature, and have debated removing
it for non-admin users. Its misuse has caused us headaches on a
number of occasions.

There is a feature you may not have noticed, which is admin-only. At
the page level, there is a Search tab that can be used to search for
any combination of page/group/node attributes. My vision for this
feature includes the "replace" part, meaning you could do something
like, "find all nodes on pages starting at this location that are
owned by user X and change them to user Y". But I've never had the
time to do this latter part.
--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu

RE: Quick (hopefully) User Permissions question

Interesting. I see how this separation works well when using groups to manage permissions and now wish I'd been able to be more proactive about setting that up when building out the site for our affiliate institution MIIS. The situation they're now in is that their "web super users" team has set up a bunch of content and they want to turn over management of that content to the users ultimately responsible for it. Naturally, they haven't yet populated those users into the page permissions settings, so none of them are included in the node editing settings either. It seems like they will need to go through and add the correct content editors for each content node now so that the editors will be able to update the content that's already in place.

A case of poor foresight on my part! Your solution seems reasonable so I'll see what I can do about implementing it.

At 9:27 AM -0400 8/4/09, McBride, Ian wrote:

>Interesting. I see how this separation works well when using groups
>to manage permissions and now wish I'd been able to be more
>proactive about setting that up when building out the site for our
>affiliate institution MIIS. The situation they're now in is that
>their "web super users" team has set up a bunch of content and they
>want to turn over management of that content to the users ultimately
>responsible for it. Naturally, they haven't yet populated those
>users into the page permissions settings, so none of them are
>included in the node editing settings either. It seems like they
>will need to go through and add the correct content editors for each
>content node now so that the editors will be able to update the
>content that's already in place.

We've found that the best practice to use when temporary people are
creating content that will eventually be turned over to others is to
create a group and apply that group at the top level, as the very
first step. Then, any new subpages and content created on those pages
gets the same group. Turning the stuff over to the final users is as
simple as editing the group. Using groups is also much more
space-efficient than using individual users.

I think the only way to solve your immediate problem would be to
write a script which uses an mm_content_get_tree() iterator which
then calls mm_content_nodes_using_tids() to determine the affected
nodes, and mm_ui_set_node_perms() to save the permissions changes
(along with a direct update to the uid field in the node table for
the owner).

To do this, you'll need to know the mmtid of the starting page, the
mmtids (gids) of the groups, and the uid of the owner to apply to the
nodes.