Quantcast

Question about TinyMCE vs. FCKEditor

McBride, Ian S.
I was getting set up to modify the Media module so that it worked with FCKEditor as well as TinyMCE when I got an email from our design vendor recommending TinyMCE over FCKEditor having worked with them both in the past. We haven't done anything here with TinyMCE (we use FCKEditor for the PHP stuff and Telerik's r.a.d. Editor for the .NET stuff), but I'm not philosophically committed to any WYSIWYG editor, so I figured I'd try out TinyMCE and see if it worked before spending a bunch of time integrating Media with FCK (though I'll probably want to do that at some point).

I have to say, TinyMCE is a lot easier to administrate in Drupal than FCKEditor since I can set up profiles directly in the interface without having to edit a bunch of script files.

However, I do recall from a meeting here at Middlebury with David that your experiences with TinyMCE weren't always positive, so to refresh my memory I thought I'd ask: what issued have you experienced with this editor in the past and are these still issues with the current version of the editor and its Drupal module?

Re: Question about TinyMCE vs. FCKEditor

Dan Wilga-2
At 10:53 AM -0400 6/16/09, McBride, Ian wrote:
>I have to say, TinyMCE is a lot easier to administrate in Drupal
>than FCKEditor since I can set up profiles directly in the interface
>without having to edit a bunch of script files.

As you can see from our distro, we use the tinymce module to
interface with it. This module is deprecated, but we've made lots of
changes to it. There's a new module called WYSIWYG API
(http://drupal.org/project/wysiwyg) which is currently supported. We
haven't tried it yet.

>However, I do recall from a meeting here at Middlebury with David
>that your experiences with TinyMCE weren't always positive, so to
>refresh my memory I thought I'd ask: what issued have you
>experienced with this editor in the past and are these still issues
>with the current version of the editor and its Drupal module?

WYSIWYG editors all suck--it's just a matter of how badly.

MCE has the same problem most editors do: it's really hard to get to
the right level of nested tags, so that when you press Enter or
change an attribute you get the results you want. That's probably the
biggest complaint, though I'm sure David knows of lots of others.

We have made a couple of small modifications to the stock MCE code,
which is far from easy, because it's compressed. This increases the
difficulty of installing new versions.

By the way, we're intentionally using an old version that has known
flaws. We're waiting to upgrade to a more recent version until the
changes in 3.2.2 have gotten more mature.
--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu

RE: Question about TinyMCE vs. FCKEditor

David Hamilton
Hey folks,

Dan's pretty much covered it - our problems with it mostly stem from the
idiosyncratic issues all the JS editors have. The other big issue
besides what Dan mentioned is how it handles pasting from Word - in some
contexts it can utterly munge content when pasted from Word - there have
actually been occasions when we've had to touch nodes at the database
level because they become unrenderable/uneditable because of what
TinyMCE and Word conspire to create.

Its history of updates have also been uneven in terms of quality. There
have been more than a couple of episodes of 'update TinyMCE, OMG WTH did
they do! Revert to previous version.'

The documentation is weak.

That said, they've consistently improved over the 3 or so years we've
been using it. Also the paste from word problem seems much improved, at
least from cursory testing we did, in the latest releases. As Dan
mentioned we've been waiting for those to go through a couple of
revisions before upgrading to that release though.

Regards,

David Hamilton
Director, Web Services
Amherst College
413-542-2167
gtalk: david.hamilton
https://cms.amherst.edu/users/H/dhamilton

At 10:53 AM -0400 6/16/09, McBride, Ian wrote:
>I have to say, TinyMCE is a lot easier to administrate in Drupal
>than FCKEditor since I can set up profiles directly in the interface
>without having to edit a bunch of script files.

As you can see from our distro, we use the tinymce module to
interface with it. This module is deprecated, but we've made lots of
changes to it. There's a new module called WYSIWYG API
(http://drupal.org/project/wysiwyg) which is currently supported. We
haven't tried it yet.

>However, I do recall from a meeting here at Middlebury with David
>that your experiences with TinyMCE weren't always positive, so to
>refresh my memory I thought I'd ask: what issued have you
>experienced with this editor in the past and are these still issues
>with the current version of the editor and its Drupal module?

WYSIWYG editors all suck--it's just a matter of how badly.

MCE has the same problem most editors do: it's really hard to get to
the right level of nested tags, so that when you press Enter or
change an attribute you get the results you want. That's probably the
biggest complaint, though I'm sure David knows of lots of others.

We have made a couple of small modifications to the stock MCE code,
which is far from easy, because it's compressed. This increases the
difficulty of installing new versions.

By the way, we're intentionally using an old version that has known
flaws. We're waiting to upgrade to a more recent version until the
changes in 3.2.2 have gotten more mature.
--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu
Amherst College                                      Tel: 413-542-2175
Amherst, MA  01002

&n=T&l=monster_menus&o=425637
or send a blank email to