Monster menus blocks renders even if empty

Monster menus blocks renders even if empty

Hi!
While theming a MM block I meet the obstacle that it is always there, even though it is empty.

Is this as is, or should it not render if it has no content?
There is no "add content here" link in the picture block, so thats not what renders here.

Any Idea how I can accomplish the following use case?
I find that this use case shows how useful this behaviour can be:
If sidebar content of right sidebar is present
it is (ofcourse) rendered in the right sidebar of a three column layout.

If no sidebar-content: the sidebar region should be empty
and thus collapse, leaving the layout an appropriate two column layout.