Quantcast

Menu item css class "not-world"

What is this? a UFS menu item?
I cannot find differences between this item and other menu items in settings page.
what is special about menu items rendered with "not-world" class?

RE: Menu item css class "not-world"

McBride, Ian S.
The "not-world" class indicates that the menu item is not world readable. The page has the "Read" permission unchecked for "Everyone" in the permission settings.

Such items appear in the menu, but when a unauthenticated user clicks on them they will get a 403 and an Authentication Required message.

Ian McBride
[hidden email]
skype: [hidden email]
Web Technologies & Services
Information Technology Services
Middlebury College

I cannot find differences between this item and other menu items in settings page.
what is special about menu items rendered with "not-world" class?

Re: Menu item css class "not-world"

Hello,

The not-world class means the menu entry is not world-readable (meaning:
if you're not logged-in, you won't be able to access it.) We use this to
put a small padlock icon next to the menu entry, to tell the user that
that section of the tree is protected from anonymous users. For example,
on this page, see "Current Majors":

https://www.amherst.edu/academiclife/departments/anthropology_sociology

On 10/17/14 4:56 AM, grahamtk wrote:

> What is this? a UFS menu item?
> I cannot find differences between this item and other menu items in settings
> page.
> what is special about menu items rendered with "not-world" class?

> or send a blank email to [hidden email]

RE: Menu item css class "not-world"

Ah, ofcourse.
Thanks!

Btw, does my account on nabble send multiple mails ?
I have no Idea why, and how to fix it..

RE: Menu item css class "not-world"

Ah, ofcourse.
Thanks!

Btw, does my account on nabble send multiple mails ?
I have no Idea why, and how to fix it..

Re: Menu item css class "not-world"

Smart access denied page.
How do you inklude the destination parameter( when i use the current page
token ut links to the access denied url (within the system folder) not
particularly useful!
Thanks.

Re: Menu item css class "not-world"

Smart access denied page.
How do you inklude the destination parameter( when i use the current page token ut links to the access denied url (within the system folder) not particularly useful!
Thanks.

RE: Menu item css class "not-world"

Jay Dansand
We use request_path() in our 403 page handler (better_403.module), which uses hook_mm_showpage_routing() to override the callback for -system/denied.

We haven't committed the better_403 module to https://github.com/jaydansand/mm_tweaks because it has some Lawrence-specific text in it (basically, "email our helpdesk at XYZ or call at x1235" kind of text) but if you're interested I could pass it around.

--
Jay Dansand '08
Senior Web Application Developer

Re: Menu item css class "not-world"

Jay,

Instead of writing a module, why not just modify the node at
-system/denied (using a text filter that has the "PHP evaluator" option
enabled) to include the PHP code  you want? That's how we are able to
show a login URL with a proper redirect in ours.

On 10/17/14 12:49 PM, Jay Dansand wrote:

> We use request_path() in our 403 page handler (better_403.module), which uses hook_mm_showpage_routing() to override the callback for -system/denied.
>
> We haven't committed the better_403 module to https://github.com/jaydansand/mm_tweaks because it has some Lawrence-specific text in it (basically, "email our helpdesk at XYZ or call at x1235" kind of text) but if you're interested I could pass it around.
>
> --
> Jay Dansand '08
> Senior Web Application Developer
> Technology Services, Seeley G. Mudd Library
> Lawrence University
> Appleton, WI
> 920-832-6585
> [hidden email]

Good question! Two answers, 1 simple and 1 lengthy:

  1. Our module does a lot of other stuff behind the scenes, including tying into the "Login destination" module (https://www.drupal.org/project/Login_Destination).
  2. In general, best practices seem to be to keep the amount of PHP in body fields to a minimum (https://www.drupal.org/documentation/modules/php). A few reasons follow.
  1. The core PHP module is deprecated (and removed from core in D8: https://www.drupal.org/project/php).
  2. Having code in modules is a more portable way to go: we can code something complex and not worry about it getting lost in translation during a node import later.
  3. It's also more tractable: We never have to worry about it being modified; the code is immutable on the box and that comes straight out of our SVN.  It'd be nice to be able to account for 100% of the code executing on our site by looking in SVN and (mostly) sites/all/modules.
  4. Module code is more performant than code executed by the PHP module is: first you need to load the node and run it through all of the entity and field hooks, then PHP module disables caching and invokes eval(). Eval() is just plain slow (http://php.webtutor.pl/en/2011/06/13/eval-counterparts-in-php-how-to-do-something-wrong-faster/).
  5. It's more secure.  Pulling stuff out of a database and then executing it is a bad idea (some discussion here: https://www.drupal.org/node/1203886) and I'm sad that there are still places we need to do it - but we're working toward a future where there is no PHP code in the DB.  Eventually we'll disable the PHP module (hooray).

So, in a nutshell that's why we decided not to just put it into a node J