How to manage urls in content

Hi!
I see you have a nice version of inserting permalinks and integration with linkit widget for wysiwyg.

But often users paste links to content, or write them manually. In those common cases urls will be the search engine friendly links shown in the browser. These links then in many drupal sites get re-written by the http://drupal.org/project/intlinks module.
Are there any variants of such a content filter that works with monster menus pages today? drupal.org/project/pathologic?

This approach shows a viable route for importing content also, because new SEO friendly urls could be generated upon import and used in content links as well. It would then be as easy as storing the content or emptying caches to update those urls to mm/ID links. Thus - linking to the new imported content with a link that also makes manually inserted links manageable for the future (with permalinks).

RE: How to manage urls in content

Jay Dansand
Firstly: whoa!  Am I understanding aright that MM now natively supports Linkit?  We've been using our own bridge module for a while and would be happy to ditch it in favor of an upstream solution.

As for your question: I hadn't looked at Internal Links before but it calls itself an "input filter" (which only changes content on output, not affecting how it is stored) so I don't think that will solve the permalink problem.  To be clear, you want "mm/123" stored in the DB, not "academics", no matter how it is altered on output, right?

For that purpose we use a combination of the Pathologic module to replace permalinks with clean URLs in output, and an in-house module for converting clean URLs into permalinks on input (implementing hook_node_presave()).  I'd be happy to share that module around if anyone is interested; it's not currently in our woefully-in-need-of-an-update mm_tweaks github repo (https://github.com/jaydansand/mm_tweaks) because we originally decided it had value outside of MM.  If folks would find it useful, we could cross-list it in that github repository as well.

Regards,
Jay Dansand, LU '08

--
.-.   .-..-.   Senior Web Application Developer
| |__ | || |   Lawrence University ITS
`----'`----'   Office: 920-832-6585
               Fax: 920-832-7693

On 10/16/13 8:34 AM, Jay Dansand wrote:
> Firstly: whoa!  Am I understanding aright that MM now natively supports Linkit?
No, it doesn't :-).

We use the popup that is part of rss_page to show users the permalink of
a given page. We don't have any integration with WYSIWYG; it's up to the
content author to copy and paste.

Re: How to manage urls in content

grahamtktk
I was being a bit short in my introduction here, I was actually refering to the mm_tweaks linkit module and the mm/mmtid permalinks.

Your solution, Jay, sounds perfect for what I had in mind, to handle changing path aliases when rearranging the menu hierarchy.  Very interested in your module!

Mvh.
Øyvind Graham

Den 16. okt. 2013 kl. 15:46 skrev "Jay Dansand [via Monster Menus]" <[hidden email]>:

Firstly: whoa!  Am I understanding aright that MM now natively supports Linkit?  We've been using our own bridge module for a while and would be happy to ditch it in favor of an upstream solution.

As for your question: I hadn't looked at Internal Links before but it calls itself an "input filter" (which only changes content on output, not affecting how it is stored) so I don't think that will solve the permalink problem.  To be clear, you want "mm/123" stored in the DB, not "academics", no matter how it is altered on output, right?

For that purpose we use a combination of the Pathologic module to replace permalinks with clean URLs in output, and an in-house module for converting clean URLs into permalinks on input (implementing hook_node_presave()).  I'd be happy to share that module around if anyone is interested; it's not currently in our woefully-in-need-of-an-update mm_tweaks github repo (https://github.com/jaydansand/mm_tweaks) because we originally decided it had value outside of MM.  If folks would find it useful, we could cross-list it in that github repository as well.

Regards,
Jay Dansand, LU '08

--
.-.   .-..-.   Senior Web Application Developer
| |__ | || |   Lawrence University ITS
`----'`----'   Office: 920-832-6585
               Fax: 920-832-7693
[...]

http://monster-menus.2910260.n2.nabble.com/How-to-manage-urls-in-content-tp7572786p7572789.html
To start a new topic under Monster Menus, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Monster Menus, click here.
NAML

Mvh.
Øyvind Graham

RE: How to manage urls in content

Jay Dansand
Just wanted to post a quick update on this: I'm having a student fix up the module a little bit, as the current iteration would absolutely not work with translations.  It was done in a quick manner right before launch, and so it assumes a lot.  We're rewriting it quickly to use something like a field presave hook to parse all text fields, regardless of language (we were using a limited hook_node_presave() method before).

Regards,
Jay Dansand, LU '08

--
.-.   .-..-.   Senior Web Application Developer
| |__ | || |   Lawrence University ITS
`----'`----'   Office: 920-832-6585
               Fax: 920-832-7693

RE: How to manage urls in content

grahamtk
Thanks for the update!
Could I have a look at the code before it is finished even though its not
translation enabled?  I am also probably avvoiding entity translation for
now.

Regards,
Øyvind Graham,
www.lifesciences.no