How to make url shorter

Leah Wang
Good morning,

One question just came up from our user community. Is that possible that you could make a url shorter in MM? For example, the real url for a page is "http://www.wellesley.edu/public/alum/donation", how could you make an alias as "http://www.wellesley.edu/give" for this page?

Thanks,

Leah

Re: How to make url shorter

McBride, Ian S.
You could make a page at /give and put a redirector node on it.

We also created a URL shortening service called GO which you can find at http://github.com/middlebury

On Thursday, October 4, 2012, Leah Wang wrote:
Good morning,

One question just came up from our user community. Is that possible that you could make a url shorter in MM? For example, the real url for a page is "http://www.wellesley.edu/public/alum/donation", how could you make an alias as "http://www.wellesley.edu/give" for this page?

Thanks,

Leah

---

You are currently subscribed to monster_menus as: <a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;imcbride@middlebury.edu&#39;);" target="_blank">imcbride@....

or send a blank email to <a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;leave-681968-685439.7e7cbccf9bb225cf8471bffe1cb67503@lists.middlebury.edu&#39;);" target="_blank">leave-681968-685439.7e7cbccf9bb225cf8471bffe1cb67503@...

Re: How to make url shorter

David Hamilton
Hi Leah,

One of the developers may provide additional options, but we've done two
things at amherst.edu related to this. First, we expose to all the users
the builtin URL shortening capability of mm, and users have grown
accustomed to grabbing them from a widget we added to our page templates.
Those urls take the form of amherst.edu/mm/12324.

For marketing/print/other purposes, we added a url that was designed in
part to protect the top level namespace, so for example, we have
amherst.edu/go/green, which is managed by our Public Affairs group - they
put redirectors in place there pointing to content for content owners and
mediate disputes over things like 'who is the canonical owner of 'give.'

David Hamilton
Director, Web Services
Amherst College
[hidden email]

On 10/4/12 11:00 AM, "Leah Wang" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Good morning,
>

>One question just came up from our user community. Is that possible that
>you could make a url shorter in MM? For example, the real url for a page
>is "http://www.wellesley.edu/public/alum/donation",
> how could you make an alias as "http://www.wellesley.edu/give" for this
>page?
>

>Thanks,
>

>Leah
>---
>You are currently subscribed to monster_menus as:
>[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>.
>To unsubscribe click here:
>http://lists.middlebury.edu/u?id=691923.3c9771e5cef0cc479e886d367ff14de0&n
>=T&l=monster_menus&o=681968
><http://lists.middlebury.edu/u?id=691923.3c9771e5cef0cc479e886d367ff14de0&
>n=T&l=monster_menus&o=681968>
>(It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>or send a blank email to
>[hidden email]
><mailto:[hidden email]
>ury.edu>

Re: How to make url shorter

On 10/4/12 11:00 AM, Leah Wang wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> One question just came up from our user community. Is that possible
> that you could make a url shorter in MM? For example, the real url for
> a page is "http://www.wellesley.edu/public/alum/donation", how could
> you make an alias as "http://www.wellesley.edu/give" for this page?

We use both of these options:

1. Have a page (or set of pages, in a tree) at the top level that does
redirection. For instance, we have a page called "go" with subpages like
"giving". That way we can tell people to use "www.amherst.edu/go/giving".

2. Tell people to use the permalink version of the MM page, which is
essentially "mm/" followed by the mmtid of the page. On our site, we
have a little link icon in the upper right corner of the page, which
pops up a dialog with the link they can copy.

Another option we don't really use is to do redirection at the Apache level.

--
Dan Wilga                                 [hidden email]
Web System Administrator/Programmer             http://www.amherst.edu

Re: How to make url shorter

grahamtktk
On the topic of urls. What about pathauto? Is it overridden by mm or? I tried to activate it, but it doesnt show  up on node edit forms.

√ėyvind Graham

Den 4. okt. 2012 kl. 19:28 skrev "McBride, Ian [via Monster Menus]" <[hidden email]>:

You could make a page at /give and put a redirector node on it.

We also created a URL shortening service called GO which you can find at http://github.com/middlebury

On Thursday, October 4, 2012, Leah Wang wrote:
Good morning,

One question just came up from our user community. Is that possible that you could make a url shorter in MM? For example, the real url for a page is "http://www.wellesley.edu/public/alum/donation", how could you make an alias as "http://www.wellesley.edu/give" for this page?

Thanks,

Leah

---

You are currently subscribed to monster_menus as: <a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;[hidden email]&#39;);" target="_blank">imcbride@....

or send a blank email to <a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;[hidden email]&#39;);" target="_blank">leave-681968-685439.7e7cbccf9bb225cf8471bffe1cb67503@...

http://monster-menus.2910260.n2.nabble.com/How-to-make-url-shorter-tp7572718p7572719.html
To start a new topic under Monster Menus, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Monster Menus, click here.
NAML

Re: How to make url shorter

Leah Wang
Ian,

Thanks for the reply. We are thinking about testing out the GO app. Is this a drupal module or a php app? How to use it?

Thanks,

Leah

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Ian McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
You could make a page at /give and put a redirector node on it.

We also created a URL shortening service called GO which you can find at http://github.com/middlebury

On Thursday, October 4, 2012, Leah Wang wrote:
Good morning,

One question just came up from our user community. Is that possible that you could make a url shorter in MM? For example, the real url for a page is "http://www.wellesley.edu/public/alum/donation", how could you make an alias as "http://www.wellesley.edu/give" for this page?

Thanks,

Leah

Re: How to make url shorter

Adam Franco
Administrator
Hi Leah,

GO is a stand-alone PHP application unrelated to Drupal. More details and installation instructions can be found in its README:
https://github.com/middlebury/GO/blob/master/README.txt

Adam

--

Adam Franco
Senior Software Engineer - Web Applications

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Ian McBride <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
You could make a page at /give and put a redirector node on it.

We also created a URL shortening service called GO which you can find at http://github.com/middlebury

On Thursday, October 4, 2012, Leah Wang wrote:
Good morning,

One question just came up from our user community. Is that possible that you could make a url shorter in MM? For example, the real url for a page is "http://www.wellesley.edu/public/alum/donation", how could you make an alias as "http://www.wellesley.edu/give" for this page?

Thanks,

Leah

You are currently subscribed to monster_menus as: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>.