A recent improvement: export and import the MM tree

A recent improvement: export and import the MM tree

Dan Wilga-2
In -dev, I have added code to let you export and import portions of the MM tree as text (look in admin/mm). If you have the node_export module installed, it will also do the same for any nodes on those pages. Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

I'm considering removing the old "dump as CSV" code, since it's nowhere near as useful, and probably not up-to-date. Thoughts?

Re: A recent improvement: export and import the MM tree

grahamtk
I should have applauded this already!
I will try to have a look at this, it will surely come in handy for copying
stuff between dev and live or maybe as a template for department webpages,
if it is possible to import content to a different place in the menu?
What use cases are you solving with this?

I see the import side as a way of importing from other hierarchical
databases, using an export as a template. Also a way of backing up parts of
a site if a large portion of a site is remodeled.

Best,
Øyvind Graham

Best,
Øyvind Graham

On 11/21/14 2:01 AM, grahamtk wrote:
> I should have applauded this already!
> I will try to have a look at this, it will surely come in handy for copying
> stuff between dev and live or maybe as a template for department webpages,
> if it is possible to import content to a different place in the menu?
For that I might just keep a hidden template somewhere and copy it to
the location of the new department, using the regular Copy function.
> What use cases are you solving with this?
It's mostly the one you pointed out: avoiding having to manually
re-create things when going from dev to live.

Theoretically, I could also rewrite much of the initial setup done in
monser_menus.install to use an import, instead.
> I see the import side as a way of importing from other hierarchical
> databases, using an export as a template.
That might not be as easy as you would think, since the format of the
export is not necessarily intuitive. On the plus side, you can leave out
many of the values in the $pool array, and sensible defaults will be used.
>   Also a way of backing up parts of
> a site if a large portion of a site is remodeled.
Good idea.

I also just discovered and fixed two minor bugs in the export process.
They will be in -dev shortly.